Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Annealing Nickel Silver

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Annealing Nickel Silver

Postby powderhorn » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:48 pm

I have recently started to use Nickel Silver for some work. I normal work with Gold, and Silver. I have tried to anneal some Nickel silver, and it didn't work worth a hoot. How do you guys get it done. :?:
powderhorn

Postby Larry Fuegen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:26 pm

I heat my piece with a tourch to around 1000 degrees ,a bright red color as I see it, and then quench in water. This leaves it softer and easy to form. I don't think it gets as soft as silver or gold, probably because of the nickel in it.

Larry
Larry Fuegen

Postby RBrooks » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:58 pm

If your used to working with silver and gold, you'll be dissapointed at how hard nickel stays. You can get it to about the same as 1/2 hard sterling or a little softer but that's about it.

PS I've always heated "red" hot then let cool real slowly-not sure which is the correct cooling process.

Richard
RBrooks

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs