Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

bit problems.

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

bit problems.

Postby Welder61789 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:45 pm

I just recently posted my first bit build on here and I think it come ok but am not happy with the usage of the bit. It seems to make the horses mouth gape open when pressure is applied. Is this as simple as the horse just doesn't like the bit or is there an obvious measurement issue. I know that's not a lot of info but could really use some advice. If I can give any other details please let me know. Thanks for the help.
Welder61789

Re: bit problems.

Postby hackamore » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:21 am

Maybe they way your horse is responding to rein pressure has nothing to do with 'your' bit. It could be that he was broke / started by some heavy handed 'horse trainer' that didn't know when to 'quit' pulling on the reins. A 'start' like that will sure cause a colt to 'gap' at the mouth, just trying to get away from all of that pain / pressure.
On the other hand... gapping at the mouth could sure be caused by 'your' bit if it is hurting him in some way, like pinching or maybe a little sharp place on the mouthpiece. Look 'very' close for any problems like that and eliminate them. bits that cause pain, create all kinds of problems!
As for the overall design of your bit causing this problem? I doubt it. I have not seen your bit but, my guess is you did some research before building it and most likely came up with a pretty fair, middle of the road design. Now... if you decide that the bit is not hurting him in any way then that brings us back to how he was started. Or... maybe you should take a closer look at your own riding skills. A pull on the reins will cause a horse to hunt for relief some kind of way (gapping at the mouth?) but it is up to you to show him where the best place is to find that relief.
hackamore

Re: bit problems.

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:09 pm

You have a correction mouth piece. It looks to be made very well. I didn't see any thing out of the ordinary. With that bit it is the nature of the beast. Just like snaffles or a lot of moving mouth pieces a horse will just naturally open their mouth unless used with the lightest of pressure.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs