Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Buckle Gauges

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Buckle Gauges

Postby jnspurs » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:19 am

Can anyone tell me what gauge mild steel they are using to make Belt Buckles ( all types ) and Spur Strap Buckles.
Also in Silver and Nickle if going that way. I have heard from 10 ga to 18 ga. Just wondering what
has worked best. Thank you for your replys.
jnspurs

Re: Buckle Gauges

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:56 pm

I use 11ga which is 1/8 steel for all buckles.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby jnspurs » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:40 pm

Thank you Mike and RT. I figured the heavier gauges would be better. Another guy told me he uses 18, but after looking at it, its way to thin for me.
Thats why I asked. Thanks again.
jnspurs

Postby marrinan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:51 pm

I personally use 11ga/1/8 inch for TOTAL buckle thickness at the border. If it is to be an overlay at the border I combine the thickness. This is a weight issue. Fred
Fred Marrinan
marrinan

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:43 pm

I use 1/8 on ranger buckles and headstall buckles as I have stated On the oval trophy buckles I use 14 ga.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs