Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Chain Bit

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Chain Bit

Postby jeffc » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:10 pm

I have a buddy looking to make a chain bit. Anyone know where we can get the chain. He wants stainless unless someone has a better idea. Thanks, appreciate it.
jeffc

Re: Chain Bit

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Why would he want stainless? The plated chains will last a lifetime. They can be picked up at any farm or hardware store.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby jeffc » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:16 am

Rod, I don't think it has to be stainless. We are actually reworking a bit that he has. The cheek pieces are stainless so I think he just wanted to match them up. If you can find it, would there be a downside to stainless?
jeffc

Postby jeffc » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:16 am

Rod, I don't think it has to be stainless. We are actually reworking a bit that he has. The cheek pieces are stainless so I think he just wanted to match them up. If you can find it, would there be a downside to stainless?
jeffc

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:50 pm

No problem with stainless as far as the working of the bit. It would cost a lot more and not really be easy to find. Usually chain bits are inexpensive and the additional cost of the stainless chain isn't merited. If you are trying to match something or just want to do it for personal reasons. Go right a head not going to hurt a thing.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:12 pm

look under stainless steel chain on the internet. I just found twist chain. I have also had to twist regular link chain to get the size I wanted. That might be a possibility.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby jeffc » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:36 am

Thanks rod. Appreciate it.
jeffc

Postby sonorabitandspur » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:26 am

One other disadvantage (in my humble opinion) is that stainless promotes drier mouths, this is one reason everyone uses, iron,(low cabin steel, like 1018), copper or a combination of those two in their mouthpieces. Building bits is a lot of bother and it pays to spend a little time to consult with an experienced maker, just like you have done. I have built and bought bits that were disappointing in performance. It pays to ask around, and learn from the experienced guys.
sonorabitandspur

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs