Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Doming question

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Doming question

Postby sagehen » Thu May 19, 2016 9:19 pm

Newbie here, and leaning lots reading all the posts. I'm building some cart style bridle buckles out of 10ga steel, and am trying to figure out a way to put a slight dome in them. How are you guys doing this? I have a 20 ton shop press that I'm thinking would help in this process, but have hit a wall on ideas.
sagehen

Re: Doming question

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Fri May 20, 2016 9:29 pm

I use a 2 inch thick block of nylon or poly and a pipe cap or steel ball. I heat the cap up while it is setting on the block. When it has melted enough into the block I let it cool. Then I have a male and female part to dome what ever I want. Different
pipe cap sizes give me different domes. They can be found all over or I have them for sale. About 6x 8 x 2 for $20.00 plus shipping.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Re: Doming question

Postby sagehen » Sun May 22, 2016 10:56 am

Thanks for the tip. We came up with a crude, but workable bender yesterday. Found some steel scrap out in the "pile", heated it and shaped over the end of our cement mixer. Then refined the shape with a grinder. Worked like a charm, for as crude as it is. Using leather to keep from marring the buckles.
sagehen

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs