Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Needing some help with rope borders

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Needing some help with rope borders

Postby bcase14 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:12 am

So I have some stainless steel wire I twisted. It looks like it will work as a border for a buckle I’m working on for my daughter. My question is how to apply it for the best results. It is so stiff I can’t wrap my head around how to hold it down while I solder.
Should I hammer it down a little flatter before installing it?
Should I use hard or soft solder? (Thinking soft will not have a color contrast)
Mount it around the outside edge or on the face at the outer edge?
Is this the wrong material all together?
What has worked for you?
If you have any pic’s that would be awesome too.

Having never done this before I just thought I’d tap into your experience.
Thanks

Image[img][IMG]http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p795/bcase14/IMG_20141116_095539_215_zps71d82756.jpg[/img][/img]
Brent Case
bcase14

Re: Needing some help with rope borders

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:08 pm

I have done it both on the edge and inside the edge. I put a little solder Hot in this case. Where you would like it to be. An inch along the way would be plenty if not a little to much. put flux on the wire and lay it on the solder and heat. When you have soldered that inch bend the next section ( as much as you can) to be where you want it to be. I hold that part in place with some forceps. Flux and heat. When the temperature is right run the end of the solder quickly along the wire and buckle seam. If done right the solder will go between and form a nice bond. Repeat the process until you are around the buckle.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby l. bacon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:28 pm

I have never tried this with stainless but I think that hard silver solder would work unless it is some funky stainless that solder won't stick too. You might try annealing the wire by heating red hot and letting it cool slowly. This should take the springyness out of it. After I get the rope shaped around the buckle and before I solder it on, I grind it a little with a dremel and sanding band just enough to flatten it to lay better. This gives a flatter surface for the solder to stick to. I hope this helps. Please show us your results.

Larry
l. bacon

Postby bcase14 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:35 am

Thank you for your help I will give it a try and let you know how it works.

Thanks Again!!!!
Brent Case
bcase14

Postby cavemans workshop » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:26 pm

You can use stainless or carbon steel for this, however for the purposes of trying to learn how to add ropes, I would use copper, brass or German silver, much easier to work with. Once you learn how to rope the edges, move on to stainless or carbon steel if you like. Ropes aren't really hard, its just a matter of know how. If you were in the area I could show you in a few minutes how to do it. I get up to Claremore a few times a year, I might be able to drop by and help you one of these days when I am that way.
cavemans workshop

Postby bcase14 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:05 pm

thanks for the insight.
let me know when your coming to town.
Brent Case
bcase14

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs