Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Recent work

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Recent work

Postby jesse.beckham » Fri May 16, 2014 10:34 am

Here are some of my more recent work. A little bit of everything.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1977 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 1977 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (124.62 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Re: Recent work

Postby jesse.beckham » Fri May 16, 2014 10:36 am

The conchos are 1.5", knives are Case Trappers, the hoofpick was used for inlay practice using copper.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 1976 times
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Postby MikeC » Fri May 23, 2014 10:09 am

Pretty cool. I like the inlays on the hoof pick.
MikeC

Postby jesse.beckham » Wed May 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Thanks Mike. I've been using copper to practice inlays for a couple months. I've got some buckles that I'm wanting to inlay silver and gold, so practice practice practice!
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Postby MikeC » Thu May 29, 2014 4:07 pm

what are you cutting your grooves with? I've been hand forging spurs for a while and have considered at doing that.
MikeC

Postby jesse.beckham » Thu May 29, 2014 4:20 pm

I'm just using a flat to cut a channel, I make passes going both directions alternating until I get the depth that I want. For the undercut, I make a graver point... Kinda hard to explain, so I'll try my best.... I take a blank and remove from two opposit sided, making it almost like a chisel, the round the edges. That graver point allowas me to just run my hand piece and slide it down both sides of the channel for the undercut.
Once I've got my undercut, I take a very narrow 120 point and cut burs along the bottom of the channel. (Be careful that your burs don't come up too high, if the protrude through the inlay they will eventually become rust spots.)
One the channel is cut, undercut, and bured, I just anneal the copper wire and hammer it in. I just bought some brass rod and made little punches with them. When it's all be hammered in, sand flush with the surface and buff.
That is how I was taught, I know there are a few different ways to do it. But it works for me. Hope that helps. It really isn't too hard. Just grab some copper wire and give it a try.
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Postby TexasSpurs » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:18 pm

Nice work. Do you make spurs too?
TexasSpurs

Postby jesse.beckham » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:39 pm

TexasSpurs wrote:Nice work. Do you make spurs too?

Not yet, I've mostly just been tinkering with smaller stuff until I can figure out a better works pace/shop. I have been considering just buying a set of the prefab parts (like from Steves fine things) to get an idea of basic spur construction. I know that's probably considered cheating, but I gotta start somewhere. I've mostly just done buckles and the pocket knives up to this point.
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs