Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Best blades and blade size for 10ga

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Best blades and blade size for 10ga

Postby jesse.beckham » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:34 pm

Curious what the best blade size would be for 10 gauge A-1011 steel? Im wanting to cut out some designs on a buckle. As always, your help is greatly appreciated!
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Re: Best blades and blade size for 10ga

Postby l. bacon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:27 pm

Jesse, I cut heavier steel, 10 gage, with #4 blades. Coarser blades would work fine but the coarser blades make it harder to cut a more intricate design. Jeweler blades are pretty cheap, so buy several sizes so you can experiment to see what you like best. Just a suggestion.
Larry
l. bacon

Postby jesse.beckham » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Thank Larry, I'm ordinary some supplies this weekend. I'll keep that size in mind and get a couple sizes bigger an smaller to have on hand.
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Postby Danatkisson » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:38 pm

I know this is an old post but I'll add my two cents. It didn't take me long to figure out to buy good blades. I only use rio grande laser golds now. Sawing isn't fun but good blades will improve your mood and work!
Danatkisson

Postby dogcatcher » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:36 pm

Danatkisson wrote:I know this is an old post but I'll add my two cents. It didn't take me long to figure out to buy good blades. I only use rio grande laser golds now. Sawing isn't fun but good blades will improve your mood and work!

It didn't take me long to learn that, good blades are worth every extra penny spent.
dogcatcher

Postby jesse.beckham » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:50 am

I completely agree with good quality blades, after getting a few bur side in, into a knuckle, your change real fast. Especially when you gotta rip em out from the burs hanging, or even worse, if youre wearing gloves...
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Postby marrinan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Rule of thumb: 2 theeth minimum should be on the edge of the metal at all times. The distance from the front cutting edge to the back edge of the blade determines how tight of radius can be cut. Fred
Fred Marrinan
marrinan

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs