Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Moore Maker knife with gold inlay.

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Moore Maker knife with gold inlay.

Postby jesse.beckham » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:41 am

here is a knife I am working on at the moment. Sunflower bolster, with 24kt gold inlay flower center. Moore Maker Trapper.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 1016 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 1016 times
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Re: Moore Maker knife with gold inlay.

Postby Foster » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:37 pm

Cool. You're a braver man than me to be working with 24kt gold! I haven't experimented with inlay much yet. What gravers do you relieve and undercut with? Are you using air assist, hammer and chisel or push graver?

Jesse Foster  
Foster

Postby jesse.beckham » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:12 pm

Jesse, don't let inlay intimidate you. It is a lot easier than I expected it to be. I use a Lindsey classic airgraver. I was using 20ga gold wire, should really be using 22 or higher. I used a 119° graver to outline the area and move some more metal closer to the center before I used a flat to scrape more out to a desirable depth. Then I just used the same flat to undercut along the edges holding at a 90° along the edges. Used the 119° to go along the bottom to raise some burs. .... Anneal the wire and hammer in. I just use a 2-3" piece of brass stock I tapered to a punch. Hammer in good and sand/polish smooth.
The tricky part is outlining the inlaid area with a very fine line. I use a microscope so it isn't too bad.
I started with copper months ago before I attempted using silver, and then finally gold. And in all actuality the gold isn't too expensive to buy for inlay. This knife used approximately 1/4" of the 20ga wire for each side of the knife. . I bought a foot for ~$85 from rio grande. So really the 22ga would be cheaper by the foot. The knife I just finished in the picture used about 3/4". I do have to admit though, I did a practice piece for each with gold to make sure they turned out okay.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (693.23 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Postby Foster » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:42 am

Thanks - I'll have to give inlay a try one of these days. Bought a roll of 20 gauge copper wire a couple years ago for just that purpose. I've put off experimenting with inlay because my graver control hasn't been up to par (I push engrave mostly) but it's finally getting there.       
Foster

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs