Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

hello and swinging hangers

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

hello and swinging hangers

Postby pigpen60 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:41 pm

hello, I'm new to the board and to spur making in general. My question is why swinging hangers? What's wrong with fixed buttons?
pigpen60

Re: hello and swinging hangers

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:05 pm

It has to do with the style of the spur and the customer wanting the spur.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby pigpen60 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:19 pm

style of spur?
pigpen60

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:11 pm

Yes. The California style spur and those made in the early years had solid buttons. The newer styles have the swingers. A few ranch cowboy styles have them today. It is usually the customers that dictate the styles the want.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby l. bacon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:07 am

I think it has to do with the way the spur sets on the boot. A higher placed button will tend to hold the shank up and the band more level. Making them swing allows the buttons to flex with the boot and foot. My choice in my personal spurs is a solid riveted button with a leather strap or string under the heel and the spur strap then holds the spur on securely.

Larry
l. bacon

Postby pigpen60 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:08 pm

thanks for the replies. could yall suggest a book showing the styles?
pigpen60

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:13 pm

Ned Martin published some books several years ago one on Texas makers one on California makers and one on modern makers. They show a variety of styles.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby pigpen60 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:03 pm

will look into those books, thanks.
I have no idea why im interested in spurs. I don't have that pretty thing in me, I build things to do a job. you know what I mean? I don't ride horses I look at them like big dogs. I like Blanchard style spurs because they seem to be tools, kinda like a ball peen hammer. not sayin he didn't make pretty but ive not come across any as of yet.
pigpen60

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs