Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Replacement Jingle Bobs

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Replacement Jingle Bobs

Postby MikeC » Tue May 20, 2014 12:28 pm

I am looking to replace some missing jingle bobs on an old pair of spurs. I do not want the usual ring type of connector but the other type usually found on the higher end spurs. Not sure how to describe them. What kind of steel rod is used for them? In the past, I've worked on replacing just the striker (?) and have a hard time bending them so I know not to use wire as it bends too easily and will lose the strikers (still not sure what the individual pieces are called). I have also looked online for replacements rather than making them but can only find the one ring with single or pair strikers. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated. JPW and Steves Fine Things do not carry what I need.
MikeC

Re: Replacement Jingle Bobs

Postby sonorabitandspur » Thu May 21, 2015 4:58 pm

I have used 14 ga wire to make hangers, these are the "W" shaped where the jingle bobs go on each side of the post. Trick is to make them with family short tight bends just loose enough to allow the jingle bobs to swing freely. I have used steel wire that comes in coils from the hardware store. I avoid baling or rebar tie wire as it is too soft and bends, breaks and wears too much.
sonorabitandspur

Re: Replacement Jingle Bobs

Postby sonorabitandspur » Thu May 21, 2015 5:03 pm

I have made jingle bobs by chucking 1/4" rod in a drll press and using files at low speed to "carve" and shape the bobs, sand polish and the part from the rod. Touch up the parted area and go on to make the next one. It takes practice to make four exactly the same, but it is not impossible. Hope this helps.
sonorabitandspur

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs