Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Building box buckles

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Building box buckles

Postby jesse.beckham » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:33 pm

I have had a few inquiries about box buckles over the last few months. I see the general construction of the buckles, but I am curious and about the assembly of one. Is it simply high heat soldiering on the joints of the buckle? or is it something that can be bent to shape and hold crisp straight edges and corners? I am assuming 14 gauge would be a sufficient size for this as well" Any and all help on the matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks ahead of time.
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Re: Building box buckles

Postby cavemans workshop » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Jesse
To build a box buckle I always cut the front side, as well as the top and bottom sides. I will then braze the sides to the front after I have domed the front.
Obviously the sides will have to be cut to match the curve. They are not too difficult to build, just takes a little time. Measure twice, cut once and make a set of master patterns.
cavemans workshop

Re: Building box buckles

Postby jesse.beckham » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:46 pm

Thanks caveman! I have since sidelined making a box buckle, apparently my wife being pregnant takes priority over most projects, that coupled with a busy Christmas build list. I'm still recovering. But am looking to work on one soon.

What gauge do you recommend?
Thanks again!
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs