Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Rust on my buckles!!

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Rust on my buckles!!

Postby jesse.beckham » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:42 pm

I am at a loss, I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I have soent hours trying to get it right. But I occasionally have a customer call and say, "my buckle is rusting!" While not always mad, I can see and understand their concern.

1) I hand sand, and finish a buckle.
2) buff out to mirror finish as specified on cold blue bottle
3) clean well with alcohol and degreaser
4) apply blue per cold blue instructions
5) reapply as per instructions.

I have tried a car wax, I have tried krylon clear, but they always seem to wear off sooner than later. Is it a moot point to tell the customer that it is going to happen no matter what?
I typically suggest they just clean up with steel wool as needed?

I have not tried the oil soak or oil quenching method. Unjust don't know where to go from here. I am not set up for hot bluing. I have recently read about Mark Lee Express but have not had a chance to use any.

Im sure this has been answered a hundred times, but I needed to rant about it and get it out.
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Re: Rust on my buckles!!

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Sounds like you are doing everything correct. On my browned buckles I soak in oil , dry then heat slightly and coat with polish. Seems to work well for me.. Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby jesse.beckham » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:09 pm

What polish are you using Rod? And will the oil not affect the cold blue? Thanks!
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:55 pm

The oil will not effect the cold blue. I use a Minwax furniture paste wax. I have had others use bowling ally wax. There are several kinds. The oil and wax is something I would try to see what happens.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby jesse.beckham » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:56 am

Thanks Rod! Ill try it out. Are you going to be at Cowboy True again this year?
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:45 pm

Yes. Come on buy and we will talk.
RT Bit and Spur

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs