Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

rasp spur question

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

rasp spur question

Postby ataylor1991 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:21 pm

Looking for a resource on rasp spurs. I have oodles of rasps waiting to be forged. Just need a little help on forming/forging the shank and shaping the heel band... :D
Semper Fidelis.
ataylor1991

Re: rasp spur question

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:08 pm

How much help do you need? If you have made spurs before, You can easily just cut the parts from your rasps. You can also cut them and make them like a one piece spur and have a continues rasp from one end to the other. What kind of help would you like?

Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby grant » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:40 pm

Good Morning all

ataylor1991
This post by Tophand on iforgeiron is the reason I joined this form. http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/9509-ra ... p+%2Bspurs After hanging around, on this form, for a while I did a basic search on rasp spurs search.php and read all of those. I believe this will get me to the point to try a pair and then pose questions to the form about particulars. -grant
grant

Postby ataylor1991 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks for the input Gentlemen! I was wondering if when I split the rasp lengthwise for the heel band, how do I forge the shank from the same piece? Does that make any sense? In other words, do I need to rivet the shank into the and or can you weld it to the shank and still come out with a clean looking piece?
Semper Fidelis.
ataylor1991

Postby tophand » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:35 pm

Alan, feel free to call me.
tophand

Postby jevaccaro » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Here is how I have done them. Cut off the tang. Cut the rasp into 2 pieces, cross ways not long ways. Split each half 4 1/2 inches for the heal band. Fold the shank portion long ways. Now you should have a piece approximately one inch by 7 inches. Forge the shank to the desired shape and weld the open edge. Form the heal band and finish as desired. JohnImage
jevaccaro

Postby ataylor1991 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:22 am

When I split the rasp for the heel band the turn it down 90 degrees, is this the time to fill in the band where it meets the shank with weld then grind down then shape? I tried shaping one before I finished the shank portion and I think I made it more difficult than it had to be.
Semper Fidelis.
ataylor1991

Postby jevaccaro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:48 am

I shape the heel band after welding the open edge of the shank, and shaping the shank. You can weld the crack at the shank after spreading the heel band. Does this answer the question? John
jevaccaro

Postby Cowboyway » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:44 pm

How long is each side of the spur and shank before you beat out the shank
Cowboyway

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs