Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Wondering about Forum health and vigor?

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Wondering about Forum health and vigor?

Postby Handsee » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Greetings to all from a somewhat noobee to the forum. As an encore hobby/career after early retirement, attended a week long introduction to engraving school with one the Amarillo masters and have been at it for a couple of years now and enjoy making and engraving. However, I decided early that bits and spurs were best left to others and ventured down a different path although I have built several dozen buckles along with other things that interest me and items I can incorporate into 30 years of coppersmithing. At any rate, I have spent hours and hours reading previous years postings and have found a wealth of tips and information that is ever so useful and helpful; thanks for that~! My ponder is this: although only recently discovering this forum, it seems by dates of posts and activity, that it has lost a fair amount of steam or maybe members have moved on to social media or maybe other venues? Hope that is not the case, but if anyone has any enlightenment for my wonderings, would appreciate thoughts and comments. What thinks you?
Handsee

Re: Wondering about Forum health and vigor?

Postby custom » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 am

I would like to participate but really don't have any knowledge. I have only been making one piece spurs a few months. Only have 4 pair under my belt... not what I would call an expert. Been a hobby knife maker/bladesmith/blacksmith for 17 years and needed to add something to keep me from getting bored. One piece spurs are challenging. Now I need to learn silver work. Bought a magnagraver and going to try my hand at engraving. Just having fun!
custom

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:42 pm

I haven't posted in a while because I changed computers and it isn't as easy to get to this site.
RT Bit and Spur

Postby hogshooter » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:47 pm

I don't have the answer to your question. I do know for me that I have gone through 3computers and almost stopped making spurs because I got started doing leather work. I have of lady leg spursin the shop that I'm inlaying silver in and another pair of rattlesnake that I had started.
I have noticed a lot of guys useing facebook and other places. Maybe they got tired of hearing the same beginners question's over and over. This place was a great source of knowledge a of inspiration I hope it regains its vigorous past
navy seabees
viet nam vet. 1968
ranch hand when not working construction
hogshooter

Postby hogshooter » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:48 pm

I don't have the answer to your question. I do know for me that I have gone through 3computers and almost stopped making spurs because I got started doing leather work. I have of lady leg spursin the shop that I'm inlaying silver in and another pair of rattlesnake that I had started.
I have noticed a lot of guys useing facebook and other places. Maybe they got tired of hearing the same beginners question's over and over. This place was a great source of knowledge a of inspiration I hope it regains its vigorous past
navy seabees
viet nam vet. 1968
hogshooter

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:11 am

I have noticed any posts I have posted don't get much comment but get hundreds of looks.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby hogshooter » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:14 am

II for one got a lot information on this site and discovered one maker lived close and we became friends. I know that as my enthusiasm for making spurs wand bicameral to the site less and less. I think the reason I haven't keep going on making spurs is the fact I didn't have the tools that is really needed tokeepfrom fighting every stepand I guess just not enough desire. I do still enjoy conversations on the making and engraving of bits and spurs and greatly enjoy the photos
navy seabees
viet nam vet. 1968
hogshooter

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs