Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

First pair of Spurs... I'm cheating.

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

First pair of Spurs... I'm cheating.

Postby jesse.beckham » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:59 am

Okay, so I cheated, I bought all the parts for my first pair of Spurs. All pre fab. I have been making buckles and conchos and a few other items but this is a big project for me. I got ore fab Mostly to get an idea of what I need to do in the future to make my own. I have a couple questions. (1) Welding the shank onto the heel band... I have a small Hobart flux core wire welder, I assume that will suffice, as long as I don't burn into either side too deep or pit it out really bad.

(2) The shank, what's the best way to slot it for the rowel? I was thinking chop saw? I might add that my tools are pretty limited and this time. I would figure a band saw would work making several passes and knock them out, but no band saw.

Anyways, I look forward to getting this pair done so I can learn a thing or two. I'm thinking some silver and copper inlays and maybe some overlays.

Thanks ahead of time!
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Re: First pair of Spurs... I'm cheating.

Postby l. bacon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:40 pm

Jesse, way to go. Any way to get started is a good way. You have to start somewhere. Just weld the shank to the band, then grind the excess off. I have tried several ways to cut the slot and they all work but some better than others. Try drilling a hole at the end of the slot, then with a hack saw or a band saw, saw down to the hole. Or mount a chop saw disc on a bench grinder motor, and hold the spur like wheel barrow handles and plunge cut the slot. Hang on tight and support your arms against your body for support. I use a milling machine now and that is the best way so far. I hope this helps and show us pictures of your finished pair.
l. bacon

Postby jesse.beckham » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:53 pm

Thanks bacon. I work at a oil field supply co. Where we machine a lot of parts. I'll see if I can get our machinist to mill it for me.
Jesse W. Beckham
jesse.beckham

Postby jeffc » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:56 am

I put a abrasive cut wheel on a skill saw on my bench grinder. You need to waller it out a little. Its a little hairy but works very well.
jeffc

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:39 pm

I mounted a platform of 3/16 with a slot cut in it part way for the blade to set in. Rested my spurs on the plat and slid them in.
RT Bit and Spur

Postby hogshooter » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:26 am

Just wanted to add to be be as safe an careful as you can shoving a knuckle into a grinder wheel ain't fun
navy seabees
viet nam vet. 1968
ranch hand when not working construction
hogshooter

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs