Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Spur making tools?

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Spur making tools?

Postby woody » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:59 pm

What all tools would you guys suggest for me to get started making spurs?
THE MAN WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS WORTHY OF HIS MEAT.
MATHEW 10:10
woody

Postby Stewart » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:02 pm

Woody,
Here is how I started out. I couldn't afford many tools in the beginning. I got a buffing motor, a bench grinder, a 1x42 belt grinder, a torch, a drill press, a jewelers saw, a couple files, and a Gravermax and power hone. And I got all of Jeremiah Watt's videos. I started building little stuff like conchos, buckles, jewelry, ect. I visited very maker who would let me in their shop and tried to learn what tools they used and why. I always took a notebook and a camera with me so I could go home and study what I had learned. As I got more tools, I started building bits and spurs. If you can find a maker or two who are willing to help you, it will sure make things easier. Where do you live? Are there any makers near you?
It would be good to get some catalogs, then you can be looking at tools and figuring out what is what. Here are a few that are good to have:

Rio Grande Tools
Indian Jewelers Supply
MSC
Rutland Tools
Enco
Grizzly Tools
GRS Tools

The best advice I can give you is to have a wife with a good job and a kind heart who will help you pay for all these tools.

Stewart
Stewart

tools

Postby woody » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:17 pm

Stewart you are awesome! Thanks for your help. I live in in Verden Oklahoma. I don't plan on makin a livin at it but it sure would be nice ha ha. What about a band saw? i figure i could make smoother cuts with that.
THE MAN WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS WORTHY OF HIS MEAT.
MATHEW 10:10
woody

Postby Stewart » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Woody,
A band saw, a tig welder, a Bader grinder with all the attachments, four or five buffers, a hydraulic press, an arbor press, a forge, a milling machine, a lathe, a bead blaster and on and on and on. Like I said it helps to have a wife with a good job.

Or you can take the John Ennis approach and build masterpieces with a few simple hand tools.

Stewart
Stewart

Postby jim dunlap » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:50 am

There is no end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What I want to know, is were do I get more time. I'll pay top dollar.
jim dunlap

Tools

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:52 pm

Woody
I made all of my machines. I bought welders, saws, torches gravermax traded for vices and anvil and made the rest. If I can help at all let me know.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby Stewart » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:56 pm

Jim,
I'm just trying to figure out where the last fifteen years went. I blinked and they were gone. Pretty scary.

Woody,
It's only a little over three months till the Western Heritage at Abilene. It's a great place to see lots of bits and spurs and meet lots of makers. I think it's May 7th-10th.

Stewart
Stewart

Tools

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:56 pm

Jim
I had a friend of mine said he had so much to do he wanted to take out some of his day light savings.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby nhcowboy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:53 pm

Hi Woody, I make two piece spurs so have a welder. A TIG welder is the best you cam have, and I was lucky, my cousin gave me one. I learned to weld right away and got pretty good fast. So probably a welder is a must have unless you want to forge one piece spurs then you need a forge and an anvil and lots of patience, I started out that way :-)

An angle/die grinder with flap discs to grind with will save you lots of time cleaning up the surface of the spurs prior to polishing-flap discs about $6.00 and angle grinder about $100.00.

A template made from steel to bend your spurs around you'll also need. It looks like the inside curve of the spur bent just like one and welded (on the inside only) to a flat plate,with angle iron welded to the bottom to fit in a vice.. It looks like an unmounted blank spur heel band, only the outside measurement across the base is the 3-1/4" you'll use for most spurs. Your flat bar stock is clamped with vice grips ( get a Bunch of those) at the top arch at the middle of the bar stock and heated with a gas torch (definitely need one of those too). As it bends around you can clamp it down, hammer, and keep going until you have the curve right. I made a spur bending device I bend them cold with but that's another article entirely :-)
A good heavy duty grinding/buffing wheel is essential too-not the cheap desk top models with abrasive stones but one with much longer side posts to attach all manner of grinding, smoothing, and buffing pads to.

A metal cutting band saw is also a must, and the best alternative to a big rig expensive one (extremely difficult to find anyway) is a Milwaukee hand held band saw for metal. I welded a piece of angle iron onto my metal table at the side and have it as a vertical saw. I use clamps to hold it to the angle iron and vice grips to keep the power button held in place when cutting ( what would OSHA say?).

Those are pretty much the essentials: Tig welder, gas oxyacetylene torch (you can and I have weld spurs with this too), metal cutting band saw, good grinding buffing wheel, and angle/die grinder-these will take you a very long way.
Hope I made sense-Paul
nhcowboy

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs