Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Putting in Hanger Pins

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Putting in Hanger Pins

Postby jnspurs » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:46 pm

I have looked throughout the forum for some suggestions on how some of you anchor your hanger pins into the bands. Haven't found much. I guess I am
not typing the right subject in or something.
I'm fairly new at this. Only done 3 pair so far. First pair I put the hanger pins in thru the band and spot welded them on the back side. That worked, but
caused alot of grinding and polishing on the inside of the band. The next pair didn't have hangers, just fixed buttons. Easy. This 3rd pair, I am putting in
swinging hangers into a slotted band. I'm really wanting to peen the hanger pins into counter sunk holes. I just don't know how to back up those u shape pins to give them a good hit to peen them into the countersunk holes. Do you guys peen them in? If so, how do you back them up? Thanks
jnspurs

Re: Putting in Hanger Pins

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:02 pm

I have done it all different ways. If you peen the hangers you can grind a slot in a piece of metal the size of your hanger material and nest it in there to peen the other side. That way the hanger will still be round on the out side. If you cut a notch a out of the metal the size of your hanger and grind a slot on both sides you can do both sides with out moving your spur.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby jnspurs » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:03 am

Thank you RT. I figured that might be the solution, but wanted to see what you guys might think. I was worried about bending the shape of the pins. Do you mostly peen them in or weld them?
jnspurs

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:04 pm

I have done both. I would try both a few times and see which way you like. If you know how to do both ways there might cone a time when the other way is better.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby jnspurs » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:28 pm

Thank you.
jnspurs

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs