Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Spur Bending jigs

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Spur Bending jigs

Postby Metalpressr » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:23 am

Could any of ya'll post some pics of your bending jigs?
I searched way back and found several posts of jigs, but
the pics no longer exist. It would be much appreciated!
Anything would be better that the box end wrench idea
I came up with....
Thanks,
Charles
Metalpressr

bending jig

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Charles
I use a couple of jigs. I have a picture of one.Image
RT Bit and Spur

Postby ChadCunningham » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:27 pm

ImageHeres one. cut out of 1/2 in plate. Chad
ChadCunningham

Postby Larry Fuegen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:04 pm

Rod, I like your bending jig. Does it take alot of pressure to bend the bands? Do you bend them hot? How strong is the spring? Sorry for all the questions but I'm always looking for a better mousetrap :)

Most of my spurs are forged 1 piece so I always have to deal with the shank so I would need to figure out a way to get them into the jig.

Larry
Larry Fuegen

Spur bending jig

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:31 pm

Larry
I bend 1 1/4 x 3/16 4130 spur bands in them with one hand. They are bent hot. I walk about 15 ft to my forge to my vice where I put my bending jig. I can bend a pair of bands in 45 sec. I have bent one piece spurs and band with different width through out like your California style bands.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby Larry Fuegen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks Rod, Did you build this yourself or buy it? It looks very professional unlike my homemade jigs.

When you do 1 piece spurs do you just get the shank lined up and push it straight through? I can't see in the photo but I'm gussing that the 2 pieces that are attached to the spring slide in a track under the base plate.

If you can bend a set of spurs in 45 seconds and be consistant every time then this jig is sure worth the time to build or the cost to buy even if you only do a few sets a year.

Larry
Larry Fuegen

spur bending jig

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:47 pm

Larry
A friend of mine has machine shop and makes them for me. He makes 5 at a time so I get 5 orders and then he makes them. last time he made a couple extra. I am selling these for $300.00 each. I don't know what the next ones will cost.
To do a one piece spur I push the shoe through a little then put a block between the rollers at the very bottom. That holds them open slightly. When the one piece spur is hot I slip the shank through the opening and pull the lever. When the shoe makes contact with the spur the block falls out and the jig centers up the spur and I push it on through.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby jbmartin » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:28 pm

Put me on the list if you still have any, or PM me with details about the next ones coming. I would like to know if you have any, if they have just one heel size, or more.
They look real similar to the one that I saw when I had the good fortune to visit with Marlin Spurgeon some years ago. His jig was very similar, except that it had a roller on each side with a spring tensioner that would allow for the shank to be put in the middle and then pushed though to form the band.

Thanks.

JB
jbmartin

spur bending jigs

Postby castagnos&s » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:13 pm

Rod I would also be interesed in looking into that jig please let me know more on them. Thanks Mike
castagnos&s

spur bending jig

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:15 pm

It is real close to Marlins except there is another spring on the bottom. If you are interested you can E mail me at 2sure @ suddenlink . net
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby Stewart » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:21 pm

I've had one of Rod's benders for several years and I sure do like it.

I hadn't thought of Marlin Spurgeon in a while. I ate supper with Ron Carlton a few months ago and he told me a story about Marlin. They were at the WRCA finals in Amarillo a few years ago and Ron's booth was across from Marlin's. Marlin lit up a cigarette and one of the officials came up and told him he couldn't smoke in the building. Marlin asked what would happen if he refused to put the cigarette out and the official told him it was a $100 fine. Marlin reached in his pocket, pulled out four $100 bills and told the fellow he would be there four days and he would just pay him in advance. I got to laughing so hard I never got around to asking Ron what happened after that.

Stewart
Stewart

Postby jbmartin » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:58 pm

With only having met him the one time, and being aroud him for a couple hour, I could see him saying that! Makes me smile!

JB
jbmartin

Postby WJL » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:54 pm

Rod
Have you got 5 orders for the bending jig?
WJL

Spur bending jig

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:08 pm

wlj
I have one so far.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby WJL » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Let me know when you get four orders and i will see what kinda shape my check book is in.

Thanks
Will
WJL

Next

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs