Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Spur Parts Supplier s

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Spur Parts Supplier s

Postby cummins2500 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:41 pm

Iam interested in finding a company or companies that just make the spur parts as 'hangers Rowels shanks etc... " so i could just assmeble them . Any help will help me out
thank you
cummins2500

Re: Spur Parts Supplier s

Postby ataylor1991 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:43 pm

Jeremiah Watt out of California...his web address is ranch2arena.com..I know he has hangers and rowels...not sure about shanks
Semper Fidelis.
ataylor1991

Postby HollonsBitsandSpurs » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:55 am

Does anybody know if Jeremiah Watt sells the mouthpieces by themselves?
HollonsBitsandSpurs

Postby spin2win » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:14 am

i tried once and he wouldnt sell to me.
spin2win

Postby Tom Bartlett » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:43 pm

I would recommend making all the parts yourself, either one-piece of welded shank. It will be a great learning experience that will stay with you all your life.

If you do just want to take the short cuts, you could try Bo Bonds. They regularly sell spur parts on eBay.
Tom Bartlett

Postby ldilworth » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:20 pm

The Cheapest and least expensive rowels, rowel pins, buttons and hangers are from Partrade. Just go to your local big box tack or feed store and ask to see their Partrade catalog. The down side is, your spurs will look like Chinese imports. I bought brass rowels off those cards for a long time untill I got a good band saw.
ldilworth

Re: Spur Parts Supplier

Postby michaelburrows » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:29 pm

Try Chad Mock, he has shanks, rowells, buckle blanks and all other sorts of things. His stuff is high quality, and non finished. He is awesome to deal with, I have ordered from him in the past when I have been in a pinch to get something done quickly, his shipping is very quick. Here is his website

www.camwaterjet.com
michaelburrows

Postby RT Bit and Spur » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:14 pm

No offense but if I send you all the pieces, why don't I just weld them a little bit and maybe a little sanding and polishing. Would you like me to add a little silver while I am at it. I could engrave them just a touch.
Do you want to be a spur maker or a spur assembler? Just jump in and do it. How are you going to develop your own style by using other makers style with out any changes? Just wondering.
Rod
RT Bit and Spur

Postby Gannon » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:39 pm

I understand where your at, i have been there ( hell, I am still there sometimes). But I am going to have to agree with Rod on this. Making your own parts is a way better accomplishment. You will learn more and more each pair you make. I still cut my shanks with a cutting torch and grind and file on them. My rowels are done with a hack saw and file. I have no bandsaw allthough a friend of mine has one in his shop that I can sometimes get on. I was even making my own buttons from carraige bolts, they work fine but like everything else takes time and effort. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying this is the only way to make spurs but to me it has been a lot more rewarding than buying precut pieces and assembling them.
Just my opinion, take it or leave it, but if you need any advice that I may be able to help you with hollar, it wasnt that long ago that I was where you are now, and you are in the right place to get the help starting out.
Gannon
Gannon

Postby nhcowboy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:47 pm

Making all of your own parts is the way to go in my opinion. What you learn, relearn, learn better and more efficiently will cross over to a wealth of "light bulb" moments" you'd never stumble across any other way. I've cut my complete spur making (not mounted) time from days and days in the begining to 7-1/2" hours now-all done by hand with nothing premade. I learned so much in that time and still continue to grow-something you'd never do being a spur assembler. The extra time is never wasted when it involves so much learning and growing.
Paul Kelleher
nhcowboy

Postby b baker » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:22 pm

I built my first pair of spurs from steel off the rack with a cutting torch, and stick welder their not pretty by any means but they are handmade.
I do use some "pre fab" parts now, but if I was faced with the dilema of no electricity I could still make spurs.
P.S. I have learned to weld with gas and bailing wire.
b baker

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs