Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Sterling vs Nickel

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Sterling vs Nickel

Postby smashed thumb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:01 pm

This is not a bit or spur topic but I'm building a metal bed, Native American inspired, calling it the Teepee bed. I plan to set some large Turquoise cabs on "silver" and attaching to the bed and a lot of soldering to boot. I'm wondering how some of you feel about the difference between Sterling and Nickel, aside from the price, which I know is a lot. How the two differ in working? Soldering? Polishing? I don't want to cheap out but it will be a high end piece. I understand the reason for using Sterling on a piece that goes next to skin but not sure about this. Also, does any one know of a good silver smithing school? Possibly in the Midwest?
Thanks for any input.
Perk
http://www.davidperkinsdesigns.com
smashed thumb

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs