Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Welcome to the forum.

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Postby webad2006 » Mon May 14, 2007 7:06 pm

Otto,

Thanks for taking the time to create such an enviroment focusing on the western artisian. I'm sure it will be a great success.

I'm new to this type of work myself, but will gladly help if I can. You asked for suggestions/ideas? How about a event calender of upcoming shows/events, and members can post if they will be there.

I just returned from Abilene, and was very impressed with not only the gear, but the overall feel of the show. Everyone seemed willing to answer my "rookie" questions. I'm hoping to find the same here.

:) Good luck,

[/b]
Billy & Amber Dodson.
BAD Western Wurks.
Geronimo,Tx.
webad2006

welcome to the forum

Postby Norm Harris, Jr. » Mon May 14, 2007 8:26 pm

Thank you Otto, Looking foreward to participating in your forum, I know it will be very helpfull.
Norm Harris, Jr.
"The outside of a Horse is good for the inside of a Man"
Norm Harris, Jr.

Figured it out-- kinda

Postby silverchip » Tue May 15, 2007 10:58 am

Just went to photobucket.com, got an account, uploaded my pictures to that and then a quick copy and paste [thanks to the ingenious help of Nick] here a picture of some of my work:
I'm only as good as you think I am.
silverchip

Postby webad2006 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:47 pm

Those look great!.... I've never seen that type of edge material, did you make it yourself? :shock:
Billy & Amber Dodson.
BAD Western Wurks.
Geronimo,Tx.
webad2006

Postby Steve223 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:49 pm

Sure pretty work!!
The winds of heaven blow between a horse's ears
Black Mountain Bits and Spurs & Big Game Hounds
Steve223

Let me add my thanks!

Postby Jim B » Tue May 15, 2007 5:59 pm

Otto, I just wanted to echo what everyone else has said. As a new engraver, I have learned a lot from the other forums and have met some nice folks too. But it will be really great to have a place where I can ask questions specific to western metal arts. Thanks again for taking the initiative to do this!
Jim B

Bill

Postby silverchip » Wed May 23, 2007 1:07 pm

Welcome aboard, Bill, glad to see you finally made it.
I'm only as good as you think I am.
silverchip

Postby troym » Thu May 31, 2007 10:57 am

Thank you Otto, This is a very interesting forum. The information on this will be priceless comeing from people with a heck of alot more experence and talent than me.
troym
troym

Great forum

Postby M. J. Atkinson » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:09 am

Otto, thanks for going to the trouble to set this forum up. The exchange of information is sure to help us all. By the way, got my package in short order. Thanks a bunch. Hope we get to meet up face to face sometime. Mike :D
M. J. Atkinson

Re: Welcome to the forum.

Postby rolandmckay » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:32 pm

Otto,
I'm interested in a Collectors Corner for bit and spur collectors where we can exchange ideas and even duplicate items or sell collectors pieces. How much interest is there in collecting?
rolandmckay

Postby CharlieR » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:53 pm

I think there are several of us that are collectors and would like to see a forum for such. Not sure this is the right place for it though...might want to ask Otto. Charlie
CharlieR

Postby ferntuckygirl » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:43 pm

Hello everyone, I really don't know where to start. I am really looking for some one who would make some conchos with spiders on them. If any one can lead me to where I might look I would really appreciate it. Many thanks.
ferntuckygirl

Postby Johnny Stout » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:27 am

Thanks for the welcome Otto....Johnny Stout here. I'm here as an admirer of the work that that guys on this forum do. I dabble in knifemaking, and am trying my hand at learning to engrave, but after 3 years, I still won't risk putting anything on my knives.
I'll be mostly lurking, but have already picked up some things I can use that's posted in the "Tips & Tricks". Keep up the great work everyone. I'm an admirer!!

Johnny Stout
http://www.stoutknives.com
Johnny Stout
Johnny Stout

Postby dogcatcher » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:24 pm

I am the latest new guy. I am retired, trying do all of the things I never had time to do when I was working. My main hobbies are woodworking and making game calls, mostly coyote calls, but with a few duck calls thrown in for a little different work.

I came here looking for some basic engraving tips. I don't care about the super fancy stuff, just enough too get me by on some engraving on the bands of my calls. Right now I do a simple hammered look. I need to step it up a notch to keep up with the new guys getting into callmaking.

This is my method for fancy bands, my mandrel and some bands. I hope with what I have learned so far to go a step farther with a little engraving. By the way, I can do one of these in less than 10 minutes.

Marvin
dogcatcher

Postby D Bar B » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:12 am

I just found this forum and I'm looking forward to being here. My grandmother bought me my first anvil about 42 years ago and my my grandfather gave me his anvil and post vise 3 years later. Retirement is close and I see custom leather and forge wok ahead. Thanks for having me.
D Bar B

Previous

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs