Welcome
Welcome to <strong>bitsandspurs</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Welcome to the forum.

Everything related to the craft of making custom cowboy gear. And a few other gadgets.

Welcome to the forum.

Postby Otto » Thu May 10, 2007 10:40 pm

Welcome to the Bits & Spurs forum. I hope you find this place helpful and informative. Your participation is what is going to make this forum successful. Please don't hesitate telling me what you would like to see here. I would like for this forum to be helpful for the practicing artisans of this craft as well as for those who are beginning. So please get involved, share ideas and post PHOTOS of your work.
Thanks,
Otto Carter
www.ottocarter.com
Abilene, Texas
Otto
Site Admin

Postby ryspurs » Fri May 11, 2007 10:38 pm

thanks Otto for doing the leg work to get this up and going. Finally a place to ask questions and share information. This is too cool. thanks again Russell
ryspurs

Forum reaction

Postby silverchip » Sat May 12, 2007 11:02 am

I was glad to see that someone thinks that we need this type of forum.I signed up right after being sent a link to this site.If you are a bit and spur guy, a silversmith ect.,this will be a good thing to get involved with.
Otto, I don't think that I have met you in person yet but iI wanted to let you know that I think this is a great Idea.

Dave Alderson
I'm only as good as you think I am.
silverchip

Postby Otto » Sun May 13, 2007 12:11 am

Dave,
I'm glad you are on this forum. Being that necessity is the mother of invention, I got the idea for making this forum after asking Russel Yates if he knew of a bit & spur makers forum. He said there wasn't, but there needed to be one. So here it is. I'm coming into this area of interest from my background in gun engraving. I'm wanting to learn what it takes to make buckles and spurs. So I'll be posting pics of my work as I progress as a beginner. I'm really looking forward to this place being a treasure trove of information. Thanks for everybody's help.
Otto
www.ottocarter.com
Abilene, Texas
Otto
Site Admin

How do we post photos?

Postby silverchip » Sun May 13, 2007 10:03 am

Is there an "easy button" for posting photos ? obviosly I ain't to computer wise and need step by step instructions to get the job done. This would help me get photos up on the classified and appear much smarter than the average bear.
How are you going to spread the word about this site so we don't just have artisans looking at it. This could be a valuable tool in more than one way.
:D DSA
I'm only as good as you think I am.
silverchip

Postby Otto » Sun May 13, 2007 12:55 pm

To post pictures you need to get an account (free) at a photo hosting site. I use Village Photos http://www.villagephotos.com Upload your photos to your account on that site then hit the "Img" button on this site's messaging panel. copy and paste the url into the box and it's done. If that's hard to understand, I'll try to find some better instructions and post them soon. I'm going to post announcements to this site soon to different forums and websites. Feel free to do the same. Word of mouth from everyone will make this popular quickly.
Otto
www.ottocarter.com
Abilene, Texas
Otto
Site Admin

Postby jim dunlap » Sun May 13, 2007 6:09 pm

Hello,
Nice to find a place talking about what I like to do. I just recently got involved in these internet forums and have learned alot. I'm so glad to find one devoted to my line of work excusivley. I'll be checking often. Can't wait to see all of your work.
Jim
jim dunlap

Postby GraverChip » Sun May 13, 2007 7:49 pm

Otto, Good idea for a bit and spur forum! This should be a great help of information. :D :D

Steve Lindsay
GraverChip

Postby Stewart » Sun May 13, 2007 8:35 pm

Otto,
Just got home from Abilene and got registered. Thanks for coming up with such a great idea.
Stewar Williamson
Stewart

Postby Stewart » Sun May 13, 2007 8:56 pm

by the way, Otto,
You just cracked the gate on this and you've already got a bunch of the greats on board. I think this is going to be good.
Hey Russell and Matthew, if you thought I was excited yesterday, the thought of where this great idea of Otto's could go really excites me.
Stewart
Stewart

Postby R Vaughn » Sun May 13, 2007 9:09 pm

Otto, Thanks for putting this fourm together. This is just what our part of the business needed.
Robert
"Matthew 6:25-34"
R Vaughn

western style engraving on bits and spurs

Postby monk » Sun May 13, 2007 10:03 pm

hi: mi nombre es monk. just discovered this forum. don't know much at all about bits and spurs. eager to learn. my interest here is to learn as much as i can about western style engraving. i'm guessing i'll see a lot of it done on the works of the spur & bit makers. :D
monk

Postby ryspurs » Sun May 13, 2007 10:05 pm

I have been lurking aorund all the engraving forums for a couple of years now and have gleened so much info from some of the best engravers the world has to offer. Several times there were questions that would have been better suited for this forum. This is the information age, and there is such a need for these forums. Thankfully today we all share tech tips, ideas, methods and openly discuss issues related to bit and spur making, so spread the word and welcome craftsmen in all fields. Thanks again Otto for getting the site up and going. Russell Yates
art is long, life is short....get busy
ryspurs

Postby Greg Pauline » Sun May 13, 2007 10:46 pm

Otto... Excellent idea! Great job putting this forum together. I am looking forward to all new discussions and I anticipate viewing some amazing art work!!!

Best regards,
Greg Pauline
Greg Pauline

Postby Steve223 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:33 am

Thanks Otto! This will be a great resorce and im excited its here!!
Steve223

Next

Return to Bits, Buckles & Spurs